The Remoulds and Retool Thread

Urluck
Minibot

The Remoulds and Retool Thread

Post by Urluck » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:32 am

OK, how about this for a discussion point?

Some time ago, like say ROTF sort of time, seeing a transformer re-released with new parts was a novelty, but not totally unheard of. However in more recent days, especaily since Combiner Wars made us buy every deluxe in a wave, most Generations toys seem fated to be used at least twice, and not just in the "new head" sense, either.

In this thread, let us:

1) Discuss how we feel about this.
2) Define what is or isn't a retool or remould.
3) Highlight good examples.
4) Speculate wildy about POTP is gonna do this.
Last edited by Urluck on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

EllyTheKnight
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: genderflux-they-them
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Remoulds and Retool Thread

Post by EllyTheKnight » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:18 pm

I don't mind retools and remoulds themselves. The only time I thought they were a dick move was in regard to the Combiner wars figures who lost out (Blast Off, Slingshot, Groove) in the beginning. While things worked out in the end, it still felt like a bit of a rip-off.

Admittingly I don't collect toys enough anymore to really worry about remoulds/retools, but the way I see it, as long as it looks true enough to the character, I'm okay with it. An example that does stand out to me is the original Generations Blurr figure. It's painfully obvious that he's a Drift retool, but the design works well enough for him that it's not too jarring for me. On the flip-side, the TR Blurr retool into Nautica just didn't look good enough for me to justify spending that much money to get her. Which was unfortunately, cause Nautica's one of my fave characters.

As for PoTP, the biggest retool I'm looking forward to seeing is Novastar/Firestar, since I hear she's gonna be a retool of Moonracer. I'm also interested in seeing how Elita turns out.

Kurona
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: Female (She/Her)

Post by Kurona » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:14 pm

Honestly after Combiner Wars it hasn't been much of a problem, at least in terms of Deluxes. Hasbro figured out some ingenious ways to re-use transformations and parts while still making the figures feel like new toys - looking at you Scourge/Highbrow/Windblade and Triggerhappy/Slugslinger/Misfire - even if we did get the occasional redeco in Krok and the boxsets. Though I think that's just a problem boxsets have always and always will have... point is, they've gotten way better at Deluxes and that certainly seems to have translated over to POTP, even if we wish it came a bit earlier in CW.

For some reason though despite that ingenuity, it doesn't seem to have translated over to other size classes. The only good example I can think of a clever mold re-use outside of Deluxes recently was how Overlord's entire jet section was completely new from Sky Shadow's while the tank remained the same. Meanwhile Voyagers always seem to need a second use and usually don't have a lot of work put into them. The Legends class at least only seems to have a handful of recolours - usually in the last wave or two - and has a lot more original molds. Same with Titan Masters though I don't think that's getting translated over to Prime Masters.

Ottertron
Combiner Limb

Post by Ottertron » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:55 pm

I'm a wee bit cheesed off with it as it seems to dictate which characters we'll get above all else - sure, people may like a character a lot, but if it can't be retooled you ain't getting it.

MMC are sssssooooooo guilty of this. I suspect if it wasn't such a major consideration, we'd have already seen a lot more MTMTE designs from them.

I mean, I get it, from a financial POV, but from a consumer POV it's quite disheartening.

SoundJack426

Post by SoundJack426 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:24 pm

I've certainly been enjoying the Titans Return level retools that we have been getting. Other folks have already pointed out some of the more common examples of the exceptional retooling in that toy line, but another favorite example of mine is Twinferno and Grotusque! While it was not as good during Combiner Wars, I didn't mind as much because most of them were characters that weren't traditionally combiners and already had other toys out so I could ignore them (looking at you '84 Autobots!), and since we've seen such great retools in TR, I cannot wait to see what other great things we'll get out of POTP (especially with Repugnus and who he'll be retooled from, my main bet though is Rippersnapper).

As for new retools for POTP, I hit on the notion the other day that Chromia could be retooled from CW Afterburner/breaker and it still be quite similar to her Generations/IDW design, so I hope that happens so that we get another female Autobot to get Elita One closer to a full combiner team (though I'm not sure who'd be the final limb. Arcee? Greenlight? Lancer? Velocity? Aileron???)
YouTube channel (Reviews, Rambles, etc): SoundJack426
Twitter (Updates for the channel and where I hang out): @SoundJack426
Instagram (Photos used in reviews plus extras): @soundjack426

SpeedFreak01

Post by SpeedFreak01 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:43 pm

as someone whose whole shtick is recolouring existing figures, i really don't mind repaints! i think my digibashing ways help me appreciate how a deco can change the character of a toy- for instance, when i got my hands on cw mirage i was blown away by how different he felt compared to dragstrip through his slick blue and white styles. some figures i only bought the repaint, like blast off, who has a super gorgeous palette!

and yeah, a lot of the retools/reshells are super cool. rook was already my favourite cw mold, so turning him into my favourite decepticon AND my favourite transformer was a recipe for success, even more so when you notice all the effort that went into changing the silhouette!

Knightsword
Minibot

Post by Knightsword » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:53 pm

On the subject of repaints never to exist, I always wanted Generations Jetfire repainted in G2 colors with a removable face mask based on the G2 head.

Back to main topic, repaints, retools, and the like have been part of the toys since the beginning, hell nearly half of the 84 cons were straight recolors and a good portion of the 85 line up were retools and repaints of the 84 toys. Combiner Wars and Titans Return are a major step up then and not to mention what we got in the Unicron Trilogy were half the line of nearly all three lines was a straight up repaint of the half.
That guy from Minnesota who likes Jetfire and collects Transformers

Brobe
Minibot

Post by Brobe » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:01 pm

Oh man, if we're talking about repaints that never existed: Beast Hunters Smokescreen repainted into, well, Beast Hunters Smokescreen (Blue).
2014 Generations Sky Bite into Cyber Shark. Becuase, well, duh.

Oh and every mold from the 90's made of gold plastic that will explode. I'd be nice to own a version of say, Mutants Soundwave that wont turn into tears.

Urluck
Minibot

Post by Urluck » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:39 am

A recolour I would have liked to see is CW Trailcutter into RID X-Brawn, and I'm sure I'm not the only person to think that. You'd build an entire combiner team that way, with Hot Spot retooled into prime (two new heads and a chest plate), although I dunno who'd be the 4th limb.

SpeedFreak01
, if I'm half-remembering one of our digibashes, I apologise. Please post it here.

Soooo, given that the Dinobots and Terrorcons have extremely distinctive altmodes, whom could they be reused as? Beyond a G2 colour scheme? Monsterbots/Dinoforce? After the Breast Force set, anything seems possible.

Baltan
Minibot

Post by Baltan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:43 am

Brobe wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:01 pm

Oh and every mold from the 90's made of gold plastic that will explode. I'd be nice to own a version of say, Mutants Soundwave that wont turn into tears.
That canceled Horrorcon deco of Soundwave was perfect for that. Such a shame.

RungLover69
Minibot

Post by RungLover69 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:06 am

Honestly I don't mind retools, considering without them I doubt we'd have new toys of so many obscure characters and they seem to usually be well planned out.

From PotP I'm really really hoping for a rung from moonracer, as unlikely as that is.