3P Roundup! Previews, Reviews & Lamentations

Paladin
Pronouns/Gender: He
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

3P Roundup! Previews, Reviews & Lamentations

Post by Paladin » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:33 pm

Some discussion for the UNOFFICIAL side of collecting.

The fact that we have developed technology to a point where fans can finally just MAKE THEIR OWN STUFF continues to impress me, even though lots of it is really outside my price range.

And yet at the same time 3P companies continue to frustrate me because it seems like all anyone does is the same stuff OVER AND OVER AGAIN. I mean, does the world really need seven Springers, six Reflectors, five dozen Dinobots (and a partridge in a pear tree)? 8-)

Share your thoughts! Any recent recommendations or any 3P projects you're looking forward to?
Have Zord, Will Travel

Ezim
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: He, Him/Male
Has thanked: 0

Re: 3P Roundup! Previews, Reviews & Lamentations

Post by Ezim » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:05 pm

I think the 3P figures I'm looking forward to the most as of right now are Mech Planet's Hearts of Steel Bumblebee (about time that design got a toy), potentially PerfectEffect's BW Megatron if the transformation isn't overly complex, more of the Cross Dimension line from MakeToys which I think is one of the best 3P lines, and the Unrustable Bastards. I recently read that their Akira homage figure is going to be a con exclusive throughout the year so I hope they have it at TFCon.

Sigma Magnus
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: He/him, Genderfluid

Post by Sigma Magnus » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:17 pm

GCreation Prowl should be on my doorstep any day now with an upgrade kit for my Mastermind Creations Overlord. Then MakeToys God Ginrai will hopefully be released this month as a very late birthday gift...
Ezim wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:05 pm
the Cross Dimension line from MakeToys which I think is one of the best 3P lines
Very much agreed!
@sigma_magnus on Twitter!

Vigadeath
Minibot

Post by Vigadeath » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:20 pm

I'm very keen to get my hands on Maketoys Thunder Erebus. Honestly I thought I'd have him by now but I guess he's taking a while to get to Kapow Towers.

With regards to reviews I've just written some words on Fansproject Pinchar as well as some commentary on the changing aesthetic of the line.

Please give it a read and a share if you could!

http://refinedrobotco.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... f.html?m=1
Keep it #Refined
refinedrobotco.blogspot.co.uk

Miss Trebuchette
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: Female (she/her)

Post by Miss Trebuchette » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:06 am

It's weird--for the first time in a few years, I am not VERY excited about many upcoming 3P releases for this year yet...FT Rouge and MMC's CJ and Drift are certainly up there...but with the recent shift of 3P companies to MP Combiners and Legends-scale figures, I've been left with few releases that fit into what I am collecting right now...which is totally okay because 2016 and 2017 were HARD on the pocketbook...

What I am DYING to see is full prototypes of FT Superion and DX9 & XTB Menasor...
It's me (Jenevieve)! Queer trans*lady who's been into robots since she was a little girl watching Prime die the first time in a movie theater. I'm JenApparently on Twitter and Whisky26 on TFW.

Life-long trebuchet enthusiast.

Windblade/Starscream 2020

Vigadeath
Minibot

Post by Vigadeath » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:22 am

I've definitely cooled on a lot of 3P releases but it's been good for my collecting! The shift to MP has meant the few companies still making Generations scaled toys have gone super niche which I really like. I miss combiners and would have wet my pants over a Maketoys Liokaiser but alas, we'll probably never see such a treasure.

Another, more personal issue, is I don't deal well with waiting and excitement. My go-to method is to just let things play out as the fallout of missing out on something I was super hyped for is often too damaging.
Keep it #Refined
refinedrobotco.blogspot.co.uk

Knightsword
Minibot

Post by Knightsword » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:42 pm

Ezim wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:05 pm
more of the Cross Dimension line from MakeToys which I think is one of the best 3P lines,
I want their (Not) Jetfire so bad...
That guy from Minnesota who likes Jetfire and collects Transformers

Pretzelcoatl
Minibot

Post by Pretzelcoatl » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:52 pm

I received MMC Turben/Not-Whirl for my birthday back in December, and he's making me seriously consider replacing MP Megs with Tyrantron.

I'm really looking forward to Drift from them, too, and will be keeping an eye out for anything else they put out.
Knock-out is the Best One™

Drachensturm711
Been thanked: 0

Post by Drachensturm711 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:48 pm

I kind of miss the days when 3Ps used to be more renowned for making upgrades to compliment existing figures than making multiple iterations of the same character. I love what Perfect Effect are doing, now, kind of like how Fansproject and Headrobots used to be. I'd love to see more upgrade kits, different heads, weapon sets, etc to enhance or modify existing figures.