2018 Fan Vote Discussion

Ezim
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: He, Him/Male
Has thanked: 0

2018 Fan Vote Discussion

Post by Ezim » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:02 pm

With the fan vote approaching soon I thought it would be fun to talk about it a little bit. This year we're picking between which two pack of characters we want. The choices on offer are Needlenose vs Tracks, Spinister vs Weeljack, and Impactor vs Mirage. All of these are great pairings. I love that they're referencing the comics with Needlenose and Tracks. I think I'm probably going to go with Spinister vs Wheeljack though. While all the characters could use an update I've grown very fond of the Scavengers from MTMTE/LL and I'd love to see modern takes on all of them. I don't have as strong as resonance with most of the other characters to be honest.

domsalvia
Matrix Carrier

Re: 2018 Fan Vote Discussion

Post by domsalvia » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:43 pm

I would love all of them, but I think having to pick one I'd side with you and go Spinister v Jacky. Would love a nice Spinister.

Urluck
Minibot

Post by Urluck » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:55 pm

Seems a "play it safe" arrangement. I mean, in each pairing we have a G1 carformer versus a character much more obscure. Plus 5 of those would represent simple "new head" retools of toys with common altmodes, should they wish to do them.

This of course assumes that there isn't a second round of voting, to thin these numbers further?

dustbunny105
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: she/they

Post by dustbunny105 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:52 pm

Impactor vs Mirage sticks in my teeth. Not that it isn't interesting, but why do we have two Autobot vs Deception match-ups and one Autobot vs Autobot?

The vote itself is also sort of... plain, I guess, compared to the past lot. Though maybe it's just that I'm not especially interested in any of the options.

Kurona
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: Female (She/Her)

Post by Kurona » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:22 am

I must admit a fair bit of confusion at Mirage -- we recently got a version of him which is even a Combiner Limb deluxe; which I'd assume the characters in this two-pack would be. Very strange, I'd like to know more...

Because of my assumption that they'd be Deluxe, I'd like Needlenose vs. Tracks. Impactor and Spinister should be a bit bigger than Deluxe imo, but the size class is perfect for Needlenose -- and it'll be cool for Tracks to get a different body to differentiate him from Wheeljack since the two previously shared a Generations mold.

Urluck
Minibot

Post by Urluck » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:00 pm

Cashie
Minibot

Post by Cashie » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:05 am

dustbunny105 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:52 pm
Impactor vs Mirage sticks in my teeth. Not that it isn't interesting, but why do we have two Autobot vs Deception match-ups and one Autobot vs Autobot?
Kurona wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:22 am
I must admit a fair bit of confusion at Mirage -- we recently got a version of him which is even a Combiner Limb deluxe; which I'd assume the characters in this two-pack would be. Very strange, I'd like to know more...
I voted for this combo, despite it confusing the heck out of me.

This fan vote annoys me. I'd rather they just released them all in successive waves. But Fan Engagement! :roll:

Does this mean that they're going to release the figures in "versus" 2-packs?

dustbunny105
Minibot

Post by dustbunny105 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:50 am

Cashie wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:05 am
dustbunny105 wrote:
Kurona wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:22 am
I voted for this combo, despite it confusing the heck out of me.

This fan vote annoys me. I'd rather they just released them all in successive waves. But Fan Engagement! :roll:

Does this mean that they're going to release the figures in "versus" 2-packs?
I saw something saying that they're going to be sold separately but have connected backstories. Didn't see anything about what, if any, interaction they're meant to have as figures.

Agreed that they should just release them successively. Would be neat if the poll ended up being more about what order they're released in, though I doubt that'll be the case.

Cashie
Minibot

Post by Cashie » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:47 am

dustbunny105 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:50 am
I saw something saying that they're going to be sold separately but have connected backstories. Didn't see anything about what, if any, interaction they're meant to have as figures.

Agreed that they should just release them successively. Would be neat if the poll ended up being more about what order they're released in, though I doubt that'll be the case.
Huh. Maybe I'm just mad because the only mail service in the country sent me a feedback form today asking how likely it would be that I recommend them. :roll: NPSs drove me insane at my old job

phantomfish
Minibot

Post by phantomfish » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:13 pm

dustbunny105 wrote:

The vote itself is also sort of... plain, I guess, compared to the past lot. Though maybe it's just that I'm not especially interested in any of the options.
Somebody on twitter did (I forget who) did zoom in on the picture for Impactor and apparently he's a Decepticon this time (the badge is on the shoulder). This makes things even more confusing. Impactor can't be a con, can he?!?!?? :-\

Sadly I can't vote as I'm not on Facebook or IG. No twitter love from Hasbro. Mirage v Impactor would get my vote as I now want to know more.

Kurona
Minibot

Post by Kurona » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:24 pm

I don't think it'd be unreasonable for Impactor in some continuities to have been a Decepticon at some point. We've had that in some continuities' backstories of certain rougher Autobots, like Grimlock.

phantomfish
Minibot

Post by phantomfish » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:46 pm

Kurona wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:24 pm
I don't think it'd be unreasonable for Impactor in some continuities to have been a Decepticon at some point. We've had that in some continuities' backstories of certain rougher Autobots, like Grimlock.
That's a good point. I'm just wondering if it may be something that comes up in Nick Roche's upcoming Requiem of the Wreckers story. :-?

The good news is that Hasbro are now soliciting opinions on Twitter too. It's almost as if they read my post.....

dustbunny105
Minibot

Post by dustbunny105 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:22 pm

phantomfish wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:13 pm
dustbunny105 wrote:

Somebody on twitter did (I forget who) did zoom in on the picture for Impactor and apparently he's a Decepticon this time (the badge is on the shoulder). This makes things even more confusing. Impactor can't be a con, can he?!?!?? :-\

Sadly I can't vote as I'm not on Facebook or IG. No twitter love from Hasbro. Mirage v Impactor would get my vote as I now want to know more.
Saw that, yeah. Like the match-up even less now, honestly. Not so much because I can't see Impactor ever being a Decepticon, just. Idk. Why grab an Autobot and switch his faction instead of just using an existing Deceipticon? Also, it would've been more interesting to me to pit one of the rougher Autobots against one of the snootier Decepticons, tbh.

Also also, both Impactor and Mirage have been shady at points in the brand's history and so casting the lower-class character of the two as a 'Con... eh, it's just off-putting to me. I've never liked the Decepticons as a civil rights movement that took a villainous turn. That the tagline I've seen for this match-up is "Greater Good vs Greater Profit" curls my lip. Maybe it's just me and how I interact with stuff, but a toyline feels like entirely the wrong place to approach the complexity being suggested here. In a general sense, Autobot vs Decepticon is still seen as Good Guy vs Bad Guy.

ETA: Okay, so ended up following another link and found this bit of lore attached to Impactor vs Mirage:

Mirage vs. the Mercenary
The Wreckers, led by Impactor, are a highly skilled team of mercenaries who are at their best when the odds of survival are at their worst. They're exactly the kind of soldiers the Autobots need on their side. Can Mirage persuade them to join the Autobot cause?

Which actually does sound pretty interesting, though it seems at odds with Impactor's Decepticon brand. Artist mistake? Intentional red herring? Maybe he's wearing it while working a contract for the Decepticons? Still think it's an odd choice but this may have just won my vote, lol.
Last edited by dustbunny105 on Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kurona
Minibot

Post by Kurona » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:35 pm

phantomfish wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:46 pm
Kurona wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:24 pm
That's a good point. I'm just wondering if it may be something that comes up in Nick Roche's upcoming Requiem of the Wreckers story. :-?

The good news is that Hasbro are now soliciting opinions on Twitter too. It's almost as if they read my post.....
I'd doubt it -- I can't recall a time where a Wreckers series ever advertised the toys; not even making any of the characters use the body of their most recent toy. Which makes sense, unlike TAAO or OP it's not a mainline title, it's just a side series.
dustbunny105 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:22 pm
ETA: Okay, so ended up following [a href="http://pulse.hasbro.com/news/war-cybert ... -vote-here"]another link[/a] and found this bit of lore attached to Impactor vs Mirage:

Mirage vs. the Mercenary
The Wreckers, led by Impactor, are a highly skilled team of mercenaries who are at their best when the odds of survival are at their worst. They're exactly the kind of soldiers the Autobots need on their side. Can Mirage persuade them to join the Autobot cause?

Which actually does sound pretty interesting, though it seems at odds with Impactor's Decepticon brand. Artist mistake? Intentional red herring? Maybe he's wearing it while working a contract for the Decepticons? Still think it's an odd choice but this may have just won my vote, lol.
Maybe the Wreckers in this mini continuity are a mercenary group not aligned with either side -- or even a Decepticon organisation?

Knightsword
Minibot

Post by Knightsword » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:19 pm

That guy from Minnesota who likes Jetfire and collects Transformers