Let's talk about boxes...

Miss Trebuchette
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: Female (she/her)

Let's talk about boxes...

Post by Miss Trebuchette » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:38 am

Okay, as some of you may (or may not!) know, I have been slowly cataloging my robot family on Twitter the past week...

One of the main purposes of this has been to jettison some weight (read as: volume) because I am completely out of storage space and (for some reason) I keep buying more robots!

I'm finally ripping off the bandaid and getting ride of the rest of my modern retail packaging (i.e. Generations, Combiner Wars, etc.). For some reason, it is REALLY hard to get rid of packaging (it might be because my original G1 collection ended up in such poor shape).

For those of you who throw out all packaging, you can disregard this post. I know your views... :D

I already know my TT MP Boxes are DEFINITE KEEPERS (including the plastic clamshells)

I am waffling on the following:

a. Commemorative/Reissues
b. CW/TR Boxsets and Titans
c. Unite Warrior Boxsets
d. TT Legends
e. 3P MP (Fanstoys, BadCube, Ocular Max, etc.)
f. Hasbro MPs
g. 3P "Generations" (MMC Reformatted, etc.)

Any guidance for a girl with a storage problem?

For those of you who do KEEP BOXES (but not all of them), what boxes do you keep & why?
It's me (Jenevieve)! Queer trans*lady who's been into robots since she was a little girl watching Prime die the first time in a movie theater. I'm JenApparently on Twitter and Whisky26 on TFW.

Life-long trebuchet enthusiast.

Windblade/Starscream 2020

Sigma Magnus
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: He/him, Genderfluid

Re: Let's talk about boxes...

Post by Sigma Magnus » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:47 am

I keep the boxes for big, expensive, and/or fragile figures (read: MP and 3P), so I can transport them safely. Regular retail stuff will caaaarefully go in a tub. So I guess maybe get rid of boxes for things you're confident in transporting safely?
@sigma_magnus on Twitter!

Miss Trebuchette
Minibot

Post by Miss Trebuchette » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:01 pm

Sigma Magnus wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:47 am
I keep the boxes for big, expensive, and/or fragile figures (read: MP and 3P), so I can transport them safely. Regular retail stuff will caaaarefully go in a tub. So I guess maybe get rid of boxes for things you're confident in transporting safely?
Oh that is an excellent piece of advice and is definitely already where my head is "at" w/r/t MP & 3P - Although hoooo boy, I've got cubic meters worth of MP & 3P boxes...

I guess, that still leaves me questioning what to do about TT Legends, UW, and CW/TR Giftsets and Titan class figures as I guess I could make an argument for and against the boxes for most of these.

Do the aesthetics of the packaging play into your calculus?
It's me (Jenevieve)! Queer trans*lady who's been into robots since she was a little girl watching Prime die the first time in a movie theater. I'm JenApparently on Twitter and Whisky26 on TFW.

Sigma Magnus
Minibot

Post by Sigma Magnus » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:13 pm

Miss Trebuchette wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:01 pm
Do the aesthetics of the packaging play into your calculus?
Not particularly, as I don't personally display them. Not sure what I would do if I did...

Miss Trebuchette
Minibot

Post by Miss Trebuchette » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:41 pm

Yeah, I don't display boxes...having this conversation is making me realize how ridiculous it is/I am LOL

Me: I want to keep boxes that are pretty. Help me decide which pretty boxes to keep inside other not-pretty boxes/storage bins which will than be buried in my closets, never to see the light of day again...

-_-

Sigma Magnus
Minibot

Post by Sigma Magnus » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:03 pm

Do you keep the platic inserts? If not, you could probably put boxes in boxes in boxes.

In boxes.

Miss Trebuchette
Minibot

Post by Miss Trebuchette » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:47 pm

I do keep the plastic insert...they're excellent for holding figures when they aren't on display/keeping accessories safe/accounted for...

I'm weird, I don't see the point in keeping the box without the plastic/Styrofoam inserts...

But I see what you did there ;)

Sigma Magnus
Minibot

Post by Sigma Magnus » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:02 pm

Miss Trebuchette wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:47 pm
I'm weird, I don't see the point in keeping the box without the plastic/Styrofoam inserts...
Not weird at all, I feel the same way. Just an emergency option I guess. :D