How Do You Read Your Comics?

waspshot23
Minibot

How Do You Read Your Comics?

Post by waspshot23 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:46 pm

In terms of 21st century comic consumption, I sometimes feel a little behind. I have great love for the medium in print and so always read everything that way. (it's much easier on my poor ass eyesight) That does however mean waiting for the issues to come from ebay once I've found them and by that time Umar has probably let slip some cool panel on twitter that isn't a spoiler but has the impact of it lessened because he's a Cool Kid who reads digitally the very second each new LL is released and I'm not gonna curb his enthusiasm.
So what's your preference? I will die on the hill of physical media but I'd like to know who else will be there with me when comixology comes to claim all the brick and mortar comic shops (of which one is run by my dad. And no, I can't get my comics off him, if you knew about how comics are distributed at wholesale in this country you'd see why he's chosen to stop stocking every new title)
To be quite honest, I'm aware I'm shooting myself in the foot choosing to wait and then make space for physical comics. The effort of going after new issues also means Lost Light is now the only title I buy new. I need to catch up on Optimus Prime but even before that I need to catch up on exRID and Combiner Wars and Windblade and TAAO... And that's before I realise how many Marvel books I used to get that I'm neglecting.
Man, I had nearly a ten year uninterrupted run of Amazing Spider-man and I miss reading new issues of that every few weeks...

Va'al
Combiner Limb

Re: How Do You Read Your Comics?

Post by Va'al » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:22 pm

Transformers comics: I read digital, as I get review copies, and then buy the trades. Almost without fault, though still have backlog on some newer stuff.

Other comics: physical copies. I get monthly-ish shipments from my ex-local comics shop in Norwich (Abstract Sprocket), with my Anglophone pull list and any orders I feel like when I do (usually Wicked + Divine, Saga, Ms Marvel and/or Venom, Bitch Planet, and one offs). My local shop in Prato keeps me going on the Italian side, with Rat-Man and a lot of one-offs. Not really one for series, though I dip into some sometimes.

Miss Trebuchette
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: Female (she/her)

Post by Miss Trebuchette » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:18 pm

So, I have been a digital single-issue purchaser for the past 6 years, but I have been thinking about this A LOT lately since the VERY pre-mature cancellation of TAAO. I am constantly worried that buying digitally doesn't do enough to support the titles I enjoy in the eyes of the publishers. On the other hand, having been a Marvel Fangirl in the mid-2000s (buying almost every title every week), single issues just take up WAY too much room! (related: I have about 1500 mid-2000s Marvel comics if anyone is interested in re-homing them)

Mags Visaggio had an interesting thread about this topic about a month ago where she argues, from a creator's perspective, that subscribing to series at our LCS is still the best way to demonstrate support for the creators we enjoy. I've *heard* that the publishers are beginning to count Comixology subscriptions (but not unsubscribed sales). I actually asked Mags about it, but she said that while that was true, LCS subscriptions were still better in the eyes of the publishers...

TL;DR - long-time digital purchaser thinking of starting to buy IDW TF series through subscriptions at LCS (in addition to digital purchases) after TAAO cancellation...
It's me (Jenevieve)! Queer trans*lady who's been into robots since she was a little girl watching Prime die the first time in a movie theater. I'm JenApparently on Twitter and Whisky26 on TFW.

Life-long trebuchet enthusiast.

Windblade/Starscream 2020

SwedishRobotFish
Minibot

Post by SwedishRobotFish » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:43 pm

When I started reading comics, I usually waited so I could import the trades. I got tired of waiting, however, and switched to digital the moment I decided to join the android tablet owner's club.

Truth be told, while I don't hate digital comics, I'd much rather keep reading the physical stuff. Call me a nerd, but there's something special about holding an actual paper book. The smell, the feel, the... things. But it's just not cost or spoiler-avoidance efficient if you're not in a country where dedicated comic shops are a thing. Or at least not a common thing and the few that exist only stock the mainstream stuff like Marvel or DC. Currently, getting something shipped to me from the likes of Amazon UK takes about a week. Postage for a single book would probably be about £3. So I'd essentially be paying twice the cost for the issue and get it a week later than everyone else.

So yeah, as much as I'd like to support the comic industry even more, the current model is just too inconvenient for me, so I'll be going digital all the way.

Va'al
Combiner Limb

Post by Va'al » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:17 pm

As addition, and with the two responses above in mind: not being in an Anglophone country means I don't have access to monthlies in their original language, and for a long time, no access at all. Panini comics have only just started releasing translations of IDW material, as Japan is doing, so if I were up to date with my local releases I'd be somewhere in 2011 right now.

(Another reason why basing everything on the Direct Market is pointless, useless, and just a bad idea overall.)

inflatable Dalek
Minibot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by inflatable Dalek » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:21 pm

Digital for the singles, though I seem to be collecting multiple trades of everything thanks to Hachette.

More convenient, as otherwise I'd have a two hour round trip every week and the nearest comic store is a Forbidden Planet, which barely qualifies as such anyway.
TRANSFORMATION: SHOCKWAVE TOYS WITH YOU
The Autobots surrender in my look at issue 311!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOK!

Miss Trebuchette
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: Female (she/her)

Post by Miss Trebuchette » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:07 am

Va'al wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:17 pm
As addition, and with the two responses above in mind: not being in an Anglophone country means I don't have access to monthlies in their original language, and for a long time, no access at all. Panini comics have only just started releasing translations of IDW material, as Japan is doing, so if I were up to date with my local releases I'd be somewhere in 2011 right now.

(Another reason why basing everything on the Direct Market is pointless, useless, and just a bad idea overall.)
That's a really good point, Va'al. Sorry to be so Anglo-centric. I forget how spoiled we are in the States (and the UK and Canada) with having the luxury of choice . . . I must sound like a total brat...LOL
It's me (Jenevieve)! Queer trans*lady who's been into robots since she was a little girl watching Prime die the first time in a movie theater. I'm JenApparently on Twitter and Whisky26 on TFW.

Life-long trebuchet enthusiast.

Windblade/Starscream 2020

Va'al
Combiner Limb

Post by Va'al » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:33 am

Miss Trebuchette wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:07 am
Va'al wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:17 pm

That's a really good point, Va'al. Sorry to be so Anglo-centric. I forget how spoiled we are in the States (and the UK and Canada) with having the luxury of choice . . . I must sound like a total brat...LOL
Not at all! Not knowing how it works outside of the majority of the audience (and outside digital too) does not a brat make! :D

Ha-Hee Prime
Minibot

Post by Ha-Hee Prime » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:04 am

I pre-order single-issue comics in print from my local store. For trades (i.e., books I'm a little less invested in, or stories that just work better in trade) I order from Amazon. Sometimes I wait to get things used for cheaper, if it's something I'm particularly unsure about. Or if I already have it in single-issues.
BUT GUYS. Let me tell you about the glory that is direct-buy from the IDW warehouse. A pal of mine put me in touch with them when there was a specific cover that I needed in order to live, that my LCS could not get hold of. And lo! A choir of angels sang, light shone down from heaven, and they verily hooked me up. Basically, if you're willing to pay for shipping, you can get anything direct from IDW. And I don't see why the country you're living in should make a difference. Maybe a little higher shipping cost. Let me know if I'm wrong about this. But yeah.
So, say, like me, you're eagerly awaiting the Optimus Prime annual in which TC makes a biopic about Starscream. (glee!) Then you'd go here: https://www.idwpublishing.com/product/o ... nual-2018/ and order it.
ALSO though, perhaps, also like me, you realized you would not find joy in life unless you got Alex's LadyCyclonus cover for MTMTE #43.
Then you'd go here:
https://www.idwpublishing.com/product/t ... he-eye-43/
And here's the final, best reveal of all:
Somewhere in the depths of the vast IDW warehouse, there is an actual, kind human whom you can reach by this EMAIL OF ULTIMATE POWER:
store@idwpublishing.com (Also phone! 1 (858) 277-7424 )
And They Will Hunt Around And Find You Impossible Treasures and send them to you with no markup! I can't recall which issue I was looking for, but it was NOWHERE -- not on ebay, nuthin'. And the nice IDW person was all, "Here ya go, friend!" and shipped it to me like it was pie.
I am a FERVENT supporter of the IDW warehouse people, as you can tell.

Anyway, my point is, print is the best; I can never make myself sit down and read a comic on the computer because it feels fake (I know [but comics are my holodeck and I *experience* them as I read through each panel, OK?]) And I like to support the creative teams and local shops whenever and however I can.

RIP TAAO, taken from us too soon.

chromedome113
Minibot

Post by chromedome113 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:11 pm

Lord Zarak
Minibot

Post by Lord Zarak » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:44 pm

chromedome113 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:11 pm

With Domey on this. Once upon a time, when I walked past the local FP in town I'd pick up single issues as much as possible on day of release. These days, I rely on Humble Bundle for their bundles, oddly enough.

Lock Cade
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: She/her

Post by Lock Cade » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:41 pm

I prefer physical copies of my comics, so yeah I have to try and avoid spoilers on Twitter as much as possible until I get the chance to read the latest issue of Lost Light.
You Are Being Deceived

Cashie
Minibot

Post by Cashie » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:13 am

I read almost exclusively digital issues.

I bought all the hardcovers for IDW's Transformers comics up to Phase 2 #4, as I haven't been able to afford any since.
They're all mostly in my Mum's garage for now, since I moved back to Australia.

domsalvia
Matrix Carrier

Post by domsalvia » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:29 am

I've moved to digital for just about all media these day. I'm not anti physical, and still pick up the odd physical book, and I tend to try and learn to draw on paper rather than digital, but physical is just bigger, slower, and takes space to contain what is essentially identical to digital.

I can totally see why people might choose physical media for many different reasons, but it's not for me.

Adturnbull
Minibot

Post by Adturnbull » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:10 pm

Digital for most new comics, barring small-press titles and I do end up backing loads on Kickstarter these days. If I like the series, I will pick up a physical trade.

Most of my purchases at my LCS are trades now, but that is a pretty regular trip usually at least twice a month.