An IDW wrap-up

Va'al
Combiner Limb

An IDW wrap-up

Post by Va'al » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:18 pm

Coming from New York Toy Fair 2018, the Hasbro Transformers brand team mentioned a wrapping up of IDW continuities by the end of the year.
We are wrapping up current IDW continuities this year, Unicron is coming to devour everybody. The intention is to continue after that, whatever comes next. Towards end of year we should know more, but we will collaborate on more stories.
(Source: https://www.seibertron.com/transformers ... ytf/40719/ )

What do we make of this? Expected? Surprising? Disappointing? Needed?

Ezim
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: He, Him/Male
Has thanked: 0

Re: An IDW wrap-up

Post by Ezim » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:28 pm

I'm a little disappointed but the more I think about it the more I wonder what else could you do after Unicron. I saw it mentioned on Twitter that you can only tell a story about peacetime on Cybertron for so long. If it was a choice between ending with Unicron or engineering a new war and undoing all the worldbuilding/character development I say let it end with dignity.

Va'al
Combiner Limb

Post by Va'al » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:35 pm

Ezim wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:28 pm
I'm a little disappointed but the more I think about it the more I wonder what else could you do after Unicron. I saw it mentioned on Twitter that you can only tell a story about peacetime on Cybertron for so long. If it was a choice between ending with Unicron or engineering a new war and undoing all the worldbuilding/character development I say let it end with dignity.
I believe that was McFeely, yes, and I mostly agree with his assessment. But does it have to be that way?

I mean, I don't mind a reboot of sorts, soft or hard - it would definitely help clear some of the heavy reliance on continuity that the current stories are working with, and will hopefully get in more readers too. But at the same time, if Hasbro has more of a say on its fiction (as it allegedly will do for its new movies) then I'm not too sure about what might come out.

Dunno. :-?

domsalvia
Matrix Carrier

Post by domsalvia » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:47 pm

Why not have peacetime Cybertron? Things don't have to be all war and action packed all the time. If anything the peace time Cybertron set up in the pre-annual TAAO was the most interesting of worlds with scope for all kinds of stories with multiple compeating factions and still scope for action when needed.

My personal speculation is they want a refresh to make things more Earth-centric again. With the current universe the most interesting stories are Cybertron (TAAO) or space (LL) based, and the dullest of the comics (OP) being the one focused on earth they really need to change something if they want that to happen. What can be done on earth that can't be done only more interestingly on another planet? With the Bayverse (which is also ending buuuut...) they have for a long time tried to make humans the focus of the story. Double that up with the Hasbroverse and loads of human characters to include they need Earth to matter again.

For me at least this would suck, 'cos I'm here for the robots, but it feels a lot like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. You have a fantastic cast and a broad and open universe to play with where anything can happen. If they do drop that to refocus on an earth based story it's a terrible move.

Or maybe it'll be great, or they get JRo or MS to show run it, or something completely different. I'm just making stuff up as I go.

Va'al
Combiner Limb

Post by Va'al » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:15 pm

domsalvia wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:47 pm
Why not have peacetime Cybertron? Things don't have to be all war and action packed all the time. If anything the peace time Cybertron set up in the pre-annual TAAO was the most interesting of worlds with scope for all kinds of stories with multiple compeating factions and still scope for action when needed.
Yes, that was the part that fell out of the 'mostly' in my agreement! Thank you for wording it. :D

I can see how a peacetime series of comics will not work with any of the currently established readerships (G1, G1DW, new readers, casual readers) who do not expect the lack of fighting and conflict. Even the screen fiction such as Rescue Bots has some sort of conflict happening. But, and here I agree with you, having that kind of peacetime actually take place for a little without another massive incumbent threat to society (see xRID for its best example of postWar Cybertron stories) would be extremely fun to watch.

In fact, why not skip forward to Pax Cybertronia, and see what Ironhide is up to in there?

Lock Cade
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: She/her

Post by Lock Cade » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:51 pm

I find it a bit disappointing, especially since I'm really in deep with Lost Light and don't want it to end so soon.

My only hope is that they wrap up all of the loose ends and give each of the comic series a proper ending before the reboot.

Anguirus

Post by Anguirus » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:00 pm

Maybe this is wishful thinking, but out of that word salad I'm kind of pulling the idea that each current book wraps up at Unicron, but the universe continues on, perhaps in a single "Transformers" book that continues to pull on elements of GIJoe, ROM, etc.?

Because if they really started a whole Hasbro Universe only to panic-kill it in a few short...months, really, that has got to go down in Transformers history as a pretty big failure. Maybe we'll get the whole story in a decade or two.

LTCProductions
Been thanked: 0

Post by LTCProductions » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:48 am

I hope it's just a temporary break and it comes back later.

Pretzelcoatl
Minibot

Post by Pretzelcoatl » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:33 am

As long as Lost Light gets the time it needs to end properly, I'm not too worried.

Only getting OP for the art really, and not too fussed about the Hasbro stuff either way.

I'd be really interested in more short minis featuring different/new characters from new creative teams, too.
Knock-out is the Best One™

sashasdoodles
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: he/him or they/them

Post by sashasdoodles » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:46 am

IDW continuity, especially MTMTE/LL mean a lot to me and other people. It's simply a different take on Transformers rather than the constant war drama between Autobots and Decepticons. Not to mention MTMTE/LL really got me hooked onto Transformers.

Kudos to JRO for keeping this comic going on for so long tho

From positive side of things, we can always indulge in writing our own fanfictions if we are unsatisfied with the end.

dustbunny105
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: she/they

Post by dustbunny105 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:17 pm

I hope they're just bringing the current titles to a close and relaunching. I'm wary of a hard reboot bringing us a rehash of the same war all over again. The tension-wrought peacetime setting of Phase Two is my favorite element of the world they've built.

chromedome113
Minibot

Post by chromedome113 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:17 am

I have to wonder, why bother making the characters use their Evergreen designs before Cyberverse comes and before the reboot?
And also I get the feeling that because of this extended peace time there just isn't that much to do without having to go back to the war, and also Hasbro wanted to do a new 52 on IDW and make things be part of the Aligned continuity when Prime was starting, they might've gotten their wish, might've buckled due to sales and comic companies thinking issue 1s sell more.

Miss Trebuchette
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: Female (she/her)

Post by Miss Trebuchette » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:37 pm

I'm not sure how I feel about IDW coming to an "end," but I've actually long expected it...

Remember way way way back when (in 2012 or 2013)? There was an interview with James and John about their post-Death of Optimus Prime plans and they both envisioned a 100-issue arc for each book. MTMTE/LL is currently at issue 73 (as of Jan. 2018). Assuming once a month releases for the rest of 2018, that brings us to 84. If there was a MAJOR EVENT wrapping this continuity up, then I could see them releasing multiple issues a month of each book for the event. So I think we are roughly on "track" to fulfill the original plan that John & James had. I think it's possible that they "lost" a year, which might explain why Lost Light has been accelerating from a plot perspective for the past few months. But I have faith in both John and James to tie up loss ends with characters AND plot before the end. That post-Unicron (which is clearly what both books are working towards IMO), the IDW-verse would be rebooted makes sense. But I'm NOT convinced we are getting a full reboot.

First, IDW Transformers is a special kind of comic book. As a fictional property, Transformers is distinct from Marvel/DC/Etc. - the Transformers exists to sell toys. I don't think it is that far-fetched that Hasbro wants a refresh to bring in new fans. I think the half-announcement that the cinematic universe is getting a reboot is not a coincidence. Total Brand Activation would be more total and more activated if all the tv shows, comics, and movies were in their own, all-new, all-different, continuity. As others have said, the Transformers defining characteristic is their 4 million year+ civil war. It would be hard to get back there, Optimus vs. Megatron-style, without a hard reboot. I'm not saying that keeping the status quo wouldn't be as profitable or even more profitable. I'm saying that I can see a room full of suits at Hasbro saying "Business things! Let's reboot it all because BUSINESS!"

Second, and more importantly, I don't think we are going to get a hard reboot/reset. James Roberts retweeted something interesting in the last day (or so). James re-shared the 2012 article discussing/teasing Death of Optimus Prime and the "reboot" that was happening after Chaos. As we all know, that wasn't REALLY a reboot. I think (based on nothing) that that is James's way of saying "Chill. This isn't a real reboot." In my view, I am MORE concerned about an Death of OP-style "reboot" that leads into a renewed war for Cybertron. All of our boys and girls have. GROWN. SO. MUCH. I don't want it to go back to "business as usual" Autobots vs. Decepticons. I'd almost rather a hard reboot. (I mean, I'd RATHER a post-Unicron book where all our guys just get to live happy lives doing mundane things with 500% more canoodling...but I'll never get that... :P )

Also remember: the current IDW-verse is the longest-running, most-consistent, most-voluminous iteration of Transformers in the history of the franchise. I think this cuts both for a hard reboot (we're overdue) and against (why throw all that away?!). If there is a hard reboot, maybe IDW will do what they do with GI Joe - have one book that is a continuation of the current-IDW-verse and other books set in the rebooted-verse. Not ideal...but I could see the financial appeal...

Sigh.
It's me (Jenevieve)! Queer trans*lady who's been into robots since she was a little girl watching Prime die the first time in a movie theater. I'm JenApparently on Twitter and Whisky26 on TFW.

Life-long trebuchet enthusiast.

Windblade/Starscream 2020

Cashie
Minibot

Post by Cashie » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:33 am

This whole thing has given me knots in the stomach, since I saw it on Twitter the other day.

The IDW TF universe is so wonderfully iconic, but it's also a victim of its own success (perhaps) in sales terms.
It's a warren of continuity that makes it difficult to pick up for potential new readers.
I probably would have thrown LL#1 on the floor if I hadn't read every single IDW Tranformers issue beforehand (also I read digitally).

I haven't been happy with the route IDW have been taking in the last couple of years: mainly the events& crossovers, but also overly long arcs. The change from MTMTE to LL left an odd taste in my mouth. I missed Alex Milne's art and the whole "Dissolution" arc just felt watered-down.

I'm going to see how this goes. Money's tight for me these days. I might put the comics down for a while if I don't like the direction they're headed.

Va'al
Combiner Limb

Post by Va'al » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:22 pm

Note: there is still until ..oh, at least August in terms of current TF stories!