Bayformers Appreciation Thread

tainkirrahe
Lady with Powahs
Has thanked: 0

Bayformers Appreciation Thread

Post by tainkirrahe » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:04 pm

All right, look - the movies are pretty marmite for the majority of folks, but they've had their good points and considering the '07 movie is responsible for the revitalisation of the franchise I think we need to give the film series a wee bit of love. :]

So, what are the highlights of the five films for you guys? Mine would be:

1. dat soundtracks by Steve Jablonsky. Is there anyone on this planet who doesn't find Arrival to Earth beautiful?!
2. Anthony Hopkins in TLK. I mean, it's Anthony Hopkins having a blast and calling people rude words, what's not to love?
3. Agent Simmons. And I thought the balls joke was kinda funny :p
4. The first film had a cohesive story and was pretty cool in terms of lore and worldbuilding!

Your turn!

Adturnbull
Minibot

Re: Bayformers Appreciation Thread

Post by Adturnbull » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:45 pm

Age of Extinction had a great reason for the Bayverse Prime to be violent after he learned that humans had hunted down and killed his friends, and seeing Ratchet die.

The pre-credits for Dark of the Moon were great, promised an interesting story.

Pirate Sky

Post by Pirate Sky » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:16 am

1. The sound design for all the films is pretty well-done. I really enjoy the mechanical-ness of the transformation sounds.
2. Steve Jablonsky's original score for the series is pretty sweet.
3. Ron and Judy Witwicky. I seriously want them to have their own spinoff.

tainkirrahe
Lady with Powahs

Post by tainkirrahe » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:20 am

Pirate Sky wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:16 am
3. Ron and Judy Witwicky. I seriously want them to have their own spinoff.
That would be pretty amazing! Megatron trying to take over the world and being thwarted by a middle-aged couple just trying to enjoy their various vacations! :D

joelridley
Been thanked: 0

Post by joelridley » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:59 am

tainkirrahe wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:04 pm
... considering the '07 movie is responsible for the revitalisation of the franchise ...
This is it for me, regardless of the quality of the movies themselves.

EllyTheKnight
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: genderflux-they-them

Post by EllyTheKnight » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:09 pm

I say I 'hatelove' the Bay movies, because while I'm willing to tear them apart and point out everything that's wrong with them, at the end of the day I do enjoy watching them.

Age of Extinction was my favourite out of the five. I really enjoyed the fact that we got some decent Autobot-to-Autobot interaction, and I fell in love with Crosshairs instantly. He and Drift are my two faves in the film.

Also I think I'm one of the only people on the planet who doesn't mind Bee's lack-of-voice. >w>;;; Of course that's probably because I see it as a type of echolalia, but hey, it's me, so what do you expect? ^^;;;;;;

And of course the score is by far my favourite part of the movies. Steve Jablonsky is absolutely amazing.

Paladin
Pronouns/Gender: He

Post by Paladin » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:37 pm

I think there's maybe ONE good movie in the Bayverse if you chopped up bits from all 5 and put things together...

I know people really tend to dislike the Movie designs but honestly I kinda like them. Movie designs came at a time when TFs desperately needed something NEW and the "mess-of-metal" look is definitely unique.

I am curious to see what happens now that Last Knight has apparently failed to meet expectations.

the Bumblebee Movie could be a new step. I have some faith in Travis Knight (if anyone here hasn't seen "his other film, Kubo & the Two Strings" you should do so soon).

and personal highlights-

*seeing the film premiere with other fans back at Botcon 07.
*The soundtrack(s) hold up pretty well.
*bringing Peter Cullen back
*i'm probably in the minority on this last one but John Goodman's Hound is a delight.
Have Zord, Will Travel

Va'al
Combiner Limb

Post by Va'al » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:40 pm

Best I can come up with: it gave us the glorious The Whole Plate series of video essays from Lindsay Ellis.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... YZDNG3xeZ7

robocat

Post by robocat » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:57 pm

I admit, I did love the first movie: it reawakened my whole love of Transformers. Decepticons were scary and alien and Optimus and the gang were good guys. There was comedy and action and it was a great ride.

I just watched Last Knight the other day and...oooff, I'm sorry, but I can't summon the same love for that movie. I'm not going to flog Bay for it (that's sort of a fandom trope by now) but it was too frenetic and there was no chance to really know any of the characters, much less like or dislike them.

Ezim
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: He, Him/Male

Post by Ezim » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:08 pm

As much as I dislike the films and how they colored the public perception of Transformers I can admit some things I like in each of the films.
  • Sam and Mikala meeting the rest of the Autobots in TF1
  • The entire Forrest battle from TF2
  • Soundwave
  • Grimlock, even though he wasn't named in the film grumble grumble
  • Cogman
  • Hound
  • Some pretty decent toys

inflatable Dalek
Minibot

Post by inflatable Dalek » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:16 pm

I genuinely overall think the films are more good than bad, with the first an absolute classic. I'd take them over, say, any Simon Furman comic written after 1994.

Last Knight was a mess though, more than ready for someone to reinvent the series again to take it into the twenties.

I did a Bay themed podcast with Becka recently where we go on about this in extreme length:

http://tfarchive.com/fandom/features/po ... ode_26.mp3
TRANSFORMATION: SHOCKWAVE TOYS WITH YOU
The Autobots surrender in my look at issue 311!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOK!

Pangolinart
Minibot

Post by Pangolinart » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:33 am

When I was like...12-13, my family brought this home to watch, and after family movie night I snuck downstairs and rewound multiple times to watch the Autobots in Sam's background and hear Megatron tell Starscream he was a failure. And here I am!

The soundtracks are outstanding and great work listening still!

inflatable Dalek
Minibot

Post by inflatable Dalek » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:46 pm

This may have to become a general TF and Hasbroverse film thread... because they don't seem to have learnt their lesson from the failure of the comic version:

http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/02/16/tran ... ted-358641

Slightly confused by the idea Bumblebee will still be Bay continuity, it seems odd to announce a big reboot before the final old film comes out. Unless it's going to be pitched as a grade finale it'll be hard for it not to look like a dead end. Plus, what if it's a ridiculously massive hit? They won't sequelise it?

Considering there's no TF film in the Hasbroverse side of the table (when you'd think they'd want their big hitter in there), I'm wondering if it actually will be the reboot and TFW got a bit confused in their reporting? Especially as the set up of the 'Bee film would let them just redo the '07 film set up but in the '80's.

Either way, for all the cheering on Twitter, I suspect the shift will be less a Batman Begins from Batman and Robin sort of a thing, and more the way every Spider-Man reboot is basically the same bar dropping baggage and letting them bring killed villains back and it's easy for folks who only watch every couple of years and don't make extensive notes to not even notice it's not all set in the same world.

As for the other Hasbro films... meh.
TRANSFORMATION: SHOCKWAVE TOYS WITH YOU
The Autobots surrender in my look at issue 311!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOK!

chromedome113
Minibot

Post by chromedome113 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:45 pm

I feel as though they're dialling back the movies for the time being and see how well the animated movie and Bumblebee do, and if smaller scale romp for the kids does well, that's what the live action movies will be going onwards, if the epic animated space opera does well, the same. That's what I think anyway.