Prime Fans Unite!

Paladin
Pronouns/Gender: He
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Prime Fans Unite!

Post by Paladin » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:52 am

A thread for fans of The Hub's own Transformers Prime!

It seems like this series gets a lot of hate from the fandom. And while I admit there are several flaws (some owing to behind-the-scenes shenanigans) but I really enjoyed Prime. the animation is GORGEOUS, the cast is top-notch and the designs really work.
Have Zord, Will Travel

Kurona
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: Female (She/Her)

Re: Prime Fans Unite!

Post by Kurona » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:13 am

It depends on what circles you go to, I find; I've found more people who found it 'eh' than outright disliked it.

It's been a while since I watched it and I've changed so much as a person since I did watch it (while it was airing), so I'd have to go back and re-evaluate my opinions on it to really throw my hat in the ring. But what I do remember is a series that, while it may have dropped the ball a little in the third season and its ending movie - in no small part thanks to suddenly needing to advertise toys - was still an excellent cartoon in its own right with strong, memorable characterisation and plotting. T'was good!

starscreamiest
Pronouns/Gender: he/him

Post by starscreamiest » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:33 am

Prime was one of the first TF series I watched, and I ended up binging it all in the span of about a week! I have some criticisms that I've heard plenty of other people share, but it's still such a great series to me. The character designs were all eye candy, and the plot was engaging and dramatic enough that I was hooked from start to finish. There were things I wish were done better but all in all I'd say TFP was a fantastic series

joetele
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: Male

Post by joetele » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:52 am

I grew up with the G1 cartoon and comics, saw some Beast Wars, some RID, didn't see much of the Unicron Trilogy at the time, but Prime is one of my favourite TF series of all time - probably the favourite. The production values are impeccable, the voice acting is wonderful, and despite still having the trappings of a toy-selling show with quite a few 'chase the macguffin' plots, there's lots of fantastic characterisation and plotting throughout the series. Contains my favourite versions of Ratchet and Arcee, has its own take on things as well as the influences of G1 and the movie, the kids become less annoying as the series goes on, and the whole Season 2 finale and Season 3 first episodes and finale are fantastic. We didn't really need the final movie, but there's still lots to enjoy there with some interesting elements to it. Yes, the behind the scenes stuff hampered some of the quality, but there are still less filler episdoes in each season than most TV shows like this. Not to mention the toy line was a great example of fun / complexity compromise, producing some cracking toys - Wheeljack, Vehicon, Shockwave, FE Prime etc.

While it might have been interesting to see a Beast Hunters series that used the elements of the toys we got for that line (Mad Max-style vehicles! Crazy dino/monsterbots!), that might have been too much of a departure for the show. I'm very happy with what we got, and it takes quite a lot for an animated show to actually move me or create tension where it mattered, but this did. It's far better to look at what we did get than what was missing/flawed about it. And I don't think we'll see a TF show of this quality in terms of production values and voice acting again. Certainly not one as dark, either.

joetele
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: Male

Post by joetele » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:55 am

Oh, also Soundwave was TERRIFYING in this.

Anguirus

Post by Anguirus » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:00 pm

You can see the strings...just like with G1, Beast Wars, even Animated a little bit. But this show plugged right into my personal taste of how I wanted a Transformers series to feel. Aside from the mysterious lack of any humans anywhere, I think it's a grand old time.

Pretzelcoatl
Minibot

Post by Pretzelcoatl » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:19 am

I enjoyed Prime, and haven't really seen any major hate for it.

It introduced Knock-out, who is OBJECTIVELY THE BEST, and also had Prime rethinking the whole Chosen One matrix jabber, which I loved.

There were definitely some flaws with plotting, but the character work was top notch.
Knock-out is the Best One™