MTMTE Scavengers Crankcase

Ottertron
Combiner Limb

MTMTE Scavengers Crankcase

Post by Ottertron » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:33 pm

A while back I started on a custom Crankcase as seen in IDW's More Then Meets The Eye comic, based on the art of Nick Roche and Alex Milne for the most part, and using Combiner Wars Hound as the base, along with a Shapeways head and some remodelling. I managed to get the robot mode to look decent enough but I hit a wall with getting the vehicle mode to hold together - too much plasticard, basically - and over time parts just kept breaking or falling off and it just became frustrating for me so I put it to one side to work on easier customs.

Well, I recently had a brainwave as to who may make for an easier base model to work off with minimal physical work needed - although a slight compromise will have to be made for alt mode, but since we've yet to see his Cybertronian vehicle in the comics yet, I can live with it :D

So, base model is.....

RID Deluxe Thunderhoof!!

Build wise and proportionally he works very well, as far as I'm concerned. Robot mode needs the head/antlers removing, the feet filling out, the shoulder mudguards trimming right back and his weapons backpack adding, as well as a lick of paint in one or two places.

Obviously, it's unlikely that Cybertronian Crankcase is a tractor/snowplough so I'm going to have to fudge it somewhat. I know I need to lose the plough, exhaust pipes and rear bumpers and add his cannons - in G1 form concealed inside the cab of his van form - but since I'm not beholden to G1 I'm just going to mount them straight in front of the cab, atop the bonnet like so -

For the main structure I'm using a deconstructed OS Combiner Wars Superion combiner hand, and I'll trim down various random guns and hollow out the ones already there in order to make them extend. I'll build up the top slightly using a regular CW combiner hand so it adds two more cannons and lines up with the cab roof. If I can figure an uncomplicated lever mechanism to make it pivot onto his back in real bot mode I will, otherwise it will be.....*gasp* PARTSFORMING!!!! *DUN DUN DUUUUUHHHHH!*

Here's a rough idea of what I have in mind for robot mode - recycling the head from my original custom -

The main problem initially is finding a way to attach the head that is made for a 4mm balljoint onto a mushroom peg securely, but I'll figure it out.

Just started painting now so here's where I'm at right this very minute -