An IDW wrap-up

chromedome113
Minibot

Re: An IDW wrap-up

Post by chromedome113 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:13 pm

That Bumblebee graphic novel is it's own standalone thing right? They said it. Seems like the stories wrapping up but, oh whose that crashing throught the sky with a fearsome cry? The Beasties? That's how you get your typical goodies vs baddies dynamic back after 6 years of peace time comics, you make it about Beast wars. Place bets, sell your kids aim high!

Cashie
Minibot

Post by Cashie » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:55 am

Perhaps it's time the universe wrapped up, IDK.
When Simon Furman started it, he was given entirely free range. No toy constraints, etc.
Hasbro may want more control to have the fiction match their own narratives.
I also get the sense that the universe is too large and unwieldy for these newer editors.

Reboots sell, apparently. At least at first...

domsalvia
Matrix Carrier

Post by domsalvia » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:27 am

Cashie wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:55 am
Perhaps it's time the universe wrapped up, IDK.
When Simon Furman started it, he was given entirely free range. No toy constraints, etc.
Hasbro may want more control to have the fiction match their own narratives.
I also get the sense that the universe is too large and unwieldy for these newer editors.

Reboots sell, apparently. At least at first...
You might well be right but to my mind, and I realise I may not be the target audience for Hasbro, The toys should lean a little more to the comics. I'm not saying it can't happen the other way around, but the reason cartoons and comics are such good marketing tools is because they get kids (and adults) to buy in to the universe. They should lean in to that and make toys to support an exciting an vibrant universe, not have the universe be second fiddle to up coming toy lines.

Then again, I'm no toy exec and I bet there's a load of politics involved in it all. Some Hasbro boss with a bee in his bonnet stirring up trouble around them providing toys for an IDW comic, and IDW are borrowing their world darn it, and IDW should do what they're told. Or not. I have no insider info, just an imagination :lol:

Plus I'm in a bubble with people who are very in to such things, so my perspective is warped. Speculation is fun :D

Va'al
Combiner Limb

Post by Va'al » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:35 pm

chromedome113 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:13 pm
That Bumblebee graphic novel is it's own standalone thing right? They said it. Seems like the stories wrapping up but, oh whose that crashing throught the sky with a fearsome cry? The Beasties? That's how you get your typical goodies vs baddies dynamic back after 6 years of peace time comics, you make it about Beast wars. Place bets, sell your kids aim high!
I mean, that is pretty much the current plot of Optimus Prime. More or less.
Unless there are lies at play.

..read next week's Optimus Prime book. Please.

chromedome113
Minibot

Post by chromedome113 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:16 pm

Va'al wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:35 pm
chromedome113 wrote:

Oh I'm caught, I'm just saying they're a beast machine revololution coming, and that's what I think the "reboot" might be, because as odd as it sounds Robot chicken is actually proving that Beast wars is a nostalgic well for people who aren't on forums, there's a largeish group out there ready to watch some scalies and furries strangle each other.

Even on podcasts I watch, the Mega64cast, Super best friendcast, and the Crunchyroll one, they've all grown up on late 80's to 90's media and have fond memories of the Beast era and just shrug at most parts of G1, which so refreshing. They'd be nuts to not have the core cartoon cast around after Onyxs' arc.

Va'al
Combiner Limb

Post by Va'al » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:16 am

chromedome113 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:16 pm
Va'al wrote:
chromedome113 wrote:

Oh I'm caught, I'm just saying they're a beast machine revololution coming, and that's what I think the "reboot" might be, because as odd as it sounds Robot chicken is actually proving that Beast wars is a nostalgic well for people who aren't on forums, there's a largeish group out there ready to watch some scalies and furries strangle each other.

Even on podcasts I watch, the Mega64cast, Super best friendcast, and the Crunchyroll one, they've all grown up on late 80's to 90's media and have fond memories of the Beast era and just shrug at most parts of G1, which so refreshing. They'd be nuts to not have the core cartoon cast around after Onyxs' arc.
The one, major counterpoint to that - as I see it anyway - is if Hasbro is really taking more of the reins with comics as well as movies. Because if the current brand team has the say, Beast Wars will not be a thing for a loooooong time. :/

Miss Trebuchette
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: Female (she/her)

Post by Miss Trebuchette » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:47 pm

Va'al wrote:
chromedome113 wrote:

Va'al! No fair taunting us folks who don't get advance copies of the books! It's like you're a cryptic visitor from the future! :P

Va'al: Beware! Surprising things happen soon! Prepare yourself!
Me: What things?
Va'al: I can't say! But you should definitely prepare for them!
Me: ....
It's me (Jenevieve)! Queer trans*lady who's been into robots since she was a little girl watching Prime die the first time in a movie theater. I'm JenApparently on Twitter and Whisky26 on TFW.

Life-long trebuchet enthusiast.

Windblade/Starscream 2020

Va'al
Combiner Limb

Post by Va'al » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:11 am

*Wednesday arrives*

CAN I TAUNT YET

Miss Trebuchette
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: Female (she/her)

Post by Miss Trebuchette » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:50 pm

OMG! I just finished this week's offer...

You may taunt now...
It's me (Jenevieve)! Queer trans*lady who's been into robots since she was a little girl watching Prime die the first time in a movie theater. I'm JenApparently on Twitter and Whisky26 on TFW.

Life-long trebuchet enthusiast.

Windblade/Starscream 2020

TheUltimateOwl
Minibot
Pronouns/Gender: she/her

Post by TheUltimateOwl » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:15 am

(Might be abit late to the party but here I am, with my lil blurb.)

I have been mostly nervously shifting around when I first heard about the wrap up, and I mostly fear what everyone else fears about going back to the same old brand of "Cybertronians are in the middle of the war, Autobots and Decepticons are still fighting one another, its eternally about the war" when it comes to a wrap up. I am not sure if this is going to be a hard reset or a soft reboot, I personally read it as more of a hard reset. As some others have said, there have also been decisions by IDW that fans werent a fan of (read: crossovers, and I personally wasnt a fan of the rebranding cause it messed with MTMTE/LL quite alot, in my opinion, and mostly left new readers confused)

What I really hope Hasbro might... release and would be really great (and definitely pull in people who love lore, just like me) would be to expand more on pre-war Cybertron. The Culture. The music, traditions, whatever they had. I know wanting to know more lore is not everyone's cup of tea and its more of my wishful thinking, but I can dream right?

Though from what I can really sense is that the comics might go for the... following the Power of the Primes route. We shall see